We accept applications each fall (with a deadline in December) for admission for the following Fall semester (beginning in September). Fuller information about the criteria for admission and the required elements of an application is provided on the information page for prospective students.
Applications are submitted electronically through the Graduate Division's online application website at http://www.grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/grad_app.shtml.
In brief, an application consists of six parts:
- Your completed Graduate Division application form. This should be completed online at the Graduate Division application site. If you are unable to complete the online application, contact the Graduate Division via phone at 510-642-7405 or via email at gradadm [at] berkeley.edu.
- Your writing sample, uploaded with your submitted application.
- Your reading list for Greek and Latin texts. This will be submitted with your completed application. See the sample reading list online.
- Your letters of recommendation, to be submitted online by the recommenders themselves.
- Unofficial transcripts are submitted in .pdf format as part of your application. Upon admission, Graduate Division will require submission of your official transcripts.
Note that as of 9/3/19 the department no longer requires GRE scores.