Days and Time:
Fulfills the L&S Breadth Requirement in Arts & Literature
The aims of this class are:
- To learn to read Latin poetry with understanding and enjoyment.
- By concentrating on morphology, syntax, and vocabulary, to improve the reading knowledge of Latin acquired in previous classes.
- To cultivate an ability to translate the Latin of Virgil's Aeneid at sight as well as after preparation.
- To learn to scan dactylic hexameter verse, the meter of the Aeneid as well as of much other Latin poetry, and appreciating how meter affects our response to what we read.
- To discuss how to interpret Virgil's Aeneid and some problems of interpretation that have long exercised readers.